Monday, October 27, 2008

The book of love has music in it... in fact that's where music comes from...

Highlights from the past several days...

Planned a bachelor party this past week that appears to have been a success.  I stressed quite a bit about having a boring and unmemorable event, but the night ended up being a great time.  The guys all went bowling, then played some Rock Band 2 in a rented out theater in Tacoma, and back to my friend Dan's house where we played some good old-fashioned No-Limit Texas Hold 'Em.  I was competitive throughout but fatigue took over and I gave up my chips.  I'm all about self-sacrifice.  We gave the money to Ben (the groom) so I hope him and his new wife (Rebekah) enjoy the tidy sum we got for them.

Saturday was the ceremony and I was honored to be one of two best men for the occasion.  I'll be honest, I was worried about the speech because with Ben, it's hard to really prepare because our whole friendship has been based on impromptu jokes and childish laughs at each other's expense.  But I think I did ok.  It was great to see those two tie the knot and get started on this crazy adventure together.  The whole process definitely gave me pause as to what that will look like for me.  It's hard to know (especially in those moments) how to give to God the future when I've felt like it was so uncertain.  That might be why I dislike weddings more and more, no matter how happy I am for the couple.  I don't feel like having that inner fight with my own selfishness.

The NBA season is coming up and I find myself caring very little about the first game this week.  It might be because I'm getting older or just more diverse in my interests, but I find I care about sports less and less.  Maybe it's the stress over the past week or two.  I'm not sure, but to see that passion fade is sad, but also a little exciting.  Perhaps there's a passion to take it's place around the corner.

1 comment:

Ben Bates said...

The B-Party was great.