Sunday, September 14, 2008

The crew compartment's breaking up...

I have been interested in the story of the Columbia shuttle disaster lately.  Honestly, I hadn't given it much thought, but I heard a song about this tragedy for the first time that was so surreal and beautiful, that it gave a human element to the story that I never felt even when it happened.


The song is called "Commander Thinks Aloud" by The Long Winters, and below I have added a video that is actually just the lead singer doing the song on the piano (apologies for just showing his back).  But the point I'm trying to make is that when I think of the power of music, I think of songs like this.  Songs that help transcend the common emotions and reactions of life into something that nearly seems tangible.


Below the video are the lyrics to the song.  I have found it compelling to find little pieces of the song each time I hear it that add more to the narrative woven around the lyrics.  


Ok, so nerd time is over now.  Continue.






"Commander Thinks Aloud" by The Long Winters



Boys and girls in cars
Dogs and birds on lawns
From here I can touch the sun
Yeah yeah

Put your jackets on
I feel we're being born
The Tropic of Capricorn is below
Yeah yeah yeah yeah

We stall above the pole
Still your face is young
As we feel our weight return
Yeah yeah

A trail of shooting stars
The horses call of storm
Because the air contains the charge
Yeah yeah yeah yeah

The radio is on
And Houston knows the score
Can you feel it?
We're almost home
Yeah yeah yeah yeah

The crew compartment's breaking up
The crew compartment's breaking up
The crew compartment's breaking up
The crew compartment's breaking up
The crew compartment's breaking up
The crew compartment's breaking up
The crew compartment's breaking up
This is all I wanted to bring home... to you.


No comments: