Friday, May 16, 2008

I hope that this too will pass...

The beauty of friendship is empathy. Empathy to laugh especially hard at a shared experience, empathy to feel pride at a friend's accomplishment, and empathy to feel sorrow in a friend's dark hour. I don't think I ever truly realize just how much empathy I develop in a friendship until those sad times come. Two friends of mine were dealt staggering news today, and I have spent most of this evening with them on my mind, even as I was plenty distracted with the goings on of my own life. I never know what to say, I've never been the one that provides the meaningful words in times like these. All I could do tonight was tell them I love them, and then hope they know that my prayers are with them. All I know is somehow, God is going to bless their faithfulness, and bless the desires of their heart. Somehow. I just don't always get God's timing.

I have a list that I made on Tuesday that is staring at me, taunting me. I need to find time. I get time, but then I squander it on selfish endeavors that only please the lesser virtues in my heart. I need more time, but not just time- I need a new set of priorities. My indignation of status quo lasts just enough to be irritated, but not enough to change the rules of the game.

No comments: