Wednesday, March 07, 2007

"...home is heaven..."

The apostles of Jesus were nuts. There, I said it. The apostles were nuts and we never really give them their due. The first thing I say to Peter after we exchange fist pounds and a one-armed slap hug in heaven is to tell him that he was a nutcase. For people like me who live in the U.S., the way they lived their lives and carried about their business is so anthithetical to my upbringing that I had to look up the word "antithetical" before I could even use it. I nailed it by the way. Look it up.

In Acts 2:42-47, it basically says that the apostles and the believers devoted themselves to study, prayer, and spending all their time in fellowship with each other. It said that they shared all they had and sold their own stuff to help each other out. My friends have on occasion said that sharing of that nature was commonplace, but I have to disagree. Unselfish love of that nature is just not common, it's not easy and it simply never happens.

I always think it's funny that the apostles and the believers always spent time with each other, but we today get over people so quickly and we forget that we are selfish lamewads who are conditioned to believe that the world is truly about ourselves (I am so guilty of this, so back off me Stone Casting police). We judge easily, we look for ways to be apart, to not talk about what we struggle with, and we cover it up with jokes and nonchalance. Even in their relationships, the apostles and the believers gave of themselves completely.

I've always been jealous of how the Holy Spirit was so apparent on the apostles that it came on them like fire, literal fire. I have often thought that it must have just been a different time and place, just like the burning bush with Moses or God's smackdown session with Job. But then, it came to me that perhaps we don't see it here, because we don't sell ourselves out the best we can the way they did. What if we have the best of intentions, but we are unwilling to take that step that truly says with our actions, "God, I am willing to be supplied and made happy by You and You alone."? Is that what keeps so many of us from feeling that holy fire?

A preacher I listened to on my $349 iPod posed a question. "How can I be sold out for Jesus in the United States?" It's easy to do that in Africa, where you can't walk without stumbling over a way to help the cause of Jesus. It's probably easier in many, many places. But what about here? How do we show love to those around us? When Jesus said that "whatever you did for the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me," what did that mean for us who live in such a materialistic time?

I think it will take thought, real thought from you, from me and from any of those who wish to make Jesus known to their peers. Even if that just means showing love to a friend in trouble with a hug or an ear to listen. It could mean giving some assistance to someone falling on harsh times. It could be coming to the aid of someone you don't even know, just because it's the right thing to do. No matter how blessed this country is, Jesus is still a mystery to so many people.

The apostles really were insane. For beings of creation like us that are perverted by their longings for money, power, possessions, popularity and respect, they gave us an example of what it means to sell out for Christ in the world they lived in. I pray that if you often wonder what that means to you, that God will put that on your heart, and you will answer that call, and show who Jesus is to a world that is still dark and lost. Because our final resting place isn't with our things, or our unspoken words. For those who believe, our home is heaven.

"Home is heaven
One day Lord, I will live
In Your courts, You'll find me
In worship at Your feet
Hide me now
In the shadow of Your wings
Where I will be"

1 comment:

allthisforaking said...

B!
Wow, these are some profound thoughts...

It's so hard to imagine, it's almost impossible and we use words like crazy and insane to explain people like this because it's so far from what we can comprehend from our experience in society and culture. But what I do know is that living this way is what truly is life transformational and what creates movement and change in the world around us. In the midst of our ipods, cell phones, computers, dvr, and other seemingly meaningful things, its remembering that people are of the UTMOST importance and that sharing and living life with others is the greatest thing we can do or have in our lives. It's investing our whole lives in christ in the lives of others without thought to what we will gain. Its about vulnerability and intimacy, sharing our greatest joys and our deepest pains and disappointments. It's about casting aside the fear of being known, I mean truly known. It's about daring to risk in the life of another, knowing that that risk itself may actually cause us the greatest pain we can't even imagine, but walking boldly into the future in obedience, serving others with the love, heart and attitude of Christ. IT'S ABOUT LIVING BY FAITH, BEING KNOWN BY LOVE, AND BEING A VOICE OF HOPE TO THE WORLD AROUND US. It's about letting those things that Paul describes in 1 Cor 13 and 1 Thes 1 define us and represent us. It's about getting beyond ourselves, our ideas of safety and comfort and becoming a disciple/learner of Christ, WHATEVER the cost. It's about passionately pursing the very heart of Christ above nothing else and letting NOTHING else stand in our way of doing EXACTLY what he calls us to. It's about hearing that whisper and letting it become so familiar that you don't hesitate, question, or pause in response. It's about longing for home, for heaven and knowing every second of every day that we live in eternity present right now and that we have the power of God to be the change in this world, to create community like the first church had, and we will be then called crazy and insane but we will be living more free and alive than we ever could have imagined.
ALL THIS FOR OUR KING!
Em