Saturday, March 17, 2007

"...the mind that knows itself, is a mind that knows much more..."


So I wasn't especially in a reflective mood yesterday evening as I left the Ram where I had dinner (by the way, a big big thank you to all my friends who made it out last night, a big thank you to Lindsay for getting us the table and definitely to Emily who got a hold of most people to go), but just like the face I make when things get awkward, some things are simply bound to happen.

I have beautiful friends. The people that I am so very lucky to consider my companions on this incredible journey are flawed, messed up human beings just like I am (I know... Britton, not you... stop talking that way you mighty man among men), but there is so much beauty in the people I know, that I can't help but almost be overwhelmed by it. There are friends who always make me laugh, friends that I can relate to on different issues, friends that would do anything for me if I needed it, friends I can feel an incredible connection with on so many things, and for some of them, they fulfill all of those things all at once.

I looked around the table last night for a bit and watched my different friends with their conversations and nuances and I had to laugh to myself. God is good, on so many levels. Here I was 5 months ago so painfully introverted that the mere idea of going to church was so paralyzing that I would sometimes miss it just to avoid being around these same people. I would sit at home and pray for a connection, for even just a person that might one day care. And to see what God has done with such a lame guy, am I even worthy of it? Can I even claim that I ever deserved these blessings? There are few things more uplifting than the presence of a good friend, and I am so glad to know that I get that chance so often.

Don't worry, I'm pretty certain that I know how mushy this post was. But I simply do not care. I thank God for his grace and his mercy and I thank all of you in my new home that have made me feel so cared for here.

Today I get to go into Seattle again and check out the city before a Sonics game tonight. I love getting into the city and feeling it's energy, even if I have no idea where the slappyjack I am no matter where I end up going. You have to love that. Having Taylor here has been great, because when you grow up with someone, it's like riding a bike. After an hour, it's like we never lost touch.

No comments: